SUMMARY OF FLANDREAU, SOUTH DAKOTA CITY ORDINANCE,
TITLE 13, TRAFFIC CODE; CHAPTER 13.7 SNOWMOBILE OPERATIONS
No snowmobile shall be operated with the City unless it is registered and identification numbers are displayed as required.
No person may operate a snowmobile on a city street:
- At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable having due regard for conditions and in no event in excess of 20 mph
- While under the influence of liquor or drugs
- Except while proceeding to and returning from the city limits by the most direct route from his home or place where said snowmobile is garaged
- In any cemetery
- On private property without the consent of the property owner or his agent
- With more than one (1) passenger on a snowmobile
Any person operating a snowmobile on a city street must:
- Come to a complete stop at all traffic controlled intersections
- Travel as close to the right edge of the plowed area of the street as practical
- Obey all traffic signals, signs and devices
- Yield the right-of-way to all-vehicular traffic and pedestrians
No snowmobile shall be operated to cross any street except at a street intersection of a street.
No person shall operate a snowmobile in the City of Flandreau in a careless or negligent manner likely to endanger any person or property.
No person shall operate a snowmobile upon any public sidewalk.
No person operating a snowmobile shall tow any person or object behind except when such person or object is situated upon a conveyance that is attached by means of rigid hitch or tow bar.
No snowmobile shall be operated in the City unless it has at least one (1) headlight and one (1) taillight turned on at all times during operation; adequate brakes; and is equipped with a muffler in good working order in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
The operator of a snowmobile involved in an accident resulting in injuries to or death of any person or property damage in an estimated amount of $100.00 or more must report the accident to Law Enforcement Personnel.
It is presumed that any snowmobile operated within the City is operated with the consent of the owner. The owner of the snowmobile will be held jointly and severally liable with the driver thereof for damages arising out of the negligent or improper operation of his snowmobile.
The owner of a snowmobile may be held jointly and severally liable to a property owner for three (3) times the amount of damages to trees, shrubs, landscaping, or personal property occurring on private property and caused by said snowmobile where the snowmobile is operated without the consent of the property owner or agent.
Law Enforcement Personnel may confiscate any machine, which is operated contrary to or in violation of any provisions of this ordinance.
Any person who violates the provisions of this ordinance is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable according to the general provision of this ordinance.
The above information is a summary of the Title 13, Chapter 13.7 SNOWMOBILE OPERATION. A copy of the entire Snowmobile Ordinance may be obtained at the Flandreau City Office during normal business hours or by going to the Ordinance section at www.cityofflandreau.com.